May is National Geriatric Care Manager Month
Geriatric Care Managers provide consultation, support, and guidance to those who are experiencing the uncertainties of caring for seniors and their families. At times like these, a Geriatric Care Manager can provide a guiding hand by helping you prioritize immediate needs, help you to safely plan for long-term needs, and even coordinate many of those tasks for you.
At Wellspring Lutheran Services our professional geriatric care manager has been educated in various fields of human services — social work, psychology, nursing, gerontology — and trained to assess, plan, coordinate, monitor and provide services for the elderly and their families.
Advocacy for older adults is a primary function of our geriatric care manager. We belong to the National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers and are certified by the National Academy of Certified Care Managers.
Sooner or later, life can get complicated for most families. When faced with a sudden change in health we have the experience and background to help you in a number of ways:
- What types of rehab might be available? What does “short-term rehab” mean?
- What is “respite” and where might it be available? Who pays for it?
- Information about home care services. What kind of care and how much care can be provided at home?
- Who pays for what services? This is key because a common misconception is that Medicare pays for long-term care.
- What is the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?
- What does insurance, either medical or long-term care, actually pay for?
- What happens at the end of a hospitalization when discharge is imminent? Time is of the essence, because it is often Medicare or the insurance company’s determination as to how quickly things related to discharge must happen.
- With a long-term care insurance policy, what is required for the policy to begin coverage? What resources are available to pay for services? How much can the family afford? And who is going to pay for what?
Vickie Parrish, RN
Wellspring Lutheran Services
Executive Director, Personal Assistance
Certified Dementia Practitioner