Recognizing the Importance of Volunteerism During National Volunteer Month
Across the country, April is traditionally recognized as National Volunteer Month. It is a time of year organizations like ours work to raise awareness about the role volunteers play in supporting our mission. We thought it was also an important time to share the benefits of volunteering.
Volunteer Opportunities at Wellspring Lutheran Services
There are a variety of ways you can get involved and help our ministries continue to serve people of all ages. You can work with us on a special project, event, or build a long-term relationship by working with some of the older adults or families we have the privilege to serve.
On a one-time basis, we look for volunteers to help with garden clean-up, painting, building personal memoirs, and more. In an on-going basis, we welcome volunteers to help with resident activities, escort residents to and from in-house appointments and meals, spend one-on-one time reading with residents or helping them write letters, leading Bible study groups and more. For a full list of opportunities, please visit Why We Serve.
Benefits of Volunteering
One of the most common things you will hear from our volunteers about the experience is that they get so much more out of their work than they give. We also know that volunteering helps:
- Build new friendships
- Promote socialization
- Develop confidence
- Combat depression
- Develop new skills
- Keep you physically and mentally fit
- Increase joy and happiness
Finding the Volunteer Opportunity for You
If you aren’t sure what opportunity might be the right one for you, here are a list of questions to ask yourself:
- Are you able to make a time commitment on a routine basis or is a one-time project a better fit for your lifestyle?
- Do you like working one-on-one with people or would you prefer a group project?
- Are you comfortable in front of a group or do you prefer to work behind the scenes?
- What hobbies and interests do you have that you would be willing to share with the residents and clients of Wellspring Lutheran Services?