Understanding the Senior Care Benefits Available for Michigan Veterans
As we pause on November 11 to remember and honor those who served, we thought it was important to help Michigan caregivers learn more about the financial support that is available for their aging veteran. Many adult children are surprised to discover that the Veteran’s Administration has funding that can help cover the expenses of senior care for their veteran loved one and their surviving spouse. It is called the Aid & Attendance Benefit.
Determining Aid & Attendance Benefit Eligibility
If you are wondering if your Michigan senior loved one qualifies, here are a few questions you can ask them to help make the determination.
The first one is the veteran must have served at least ninety days of active military service with at least one of those days falling in a period of war. The Veteran’s Administration considers the following periods as times of war:
- World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918)
- World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946)
- Korean Conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955)
- Vietnam era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975)
- Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation)
The next step is the veteran must meet one of the following:
- Age 65 or older, OR
- Totally and permanently disabled, OR
- A patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care, OR
- Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance, OR
- Receiving Supplemental Security Income
Once you have determined that your senior loved one meets the first two requirements, the next step is meeting the yearly family income and net worth standard. These guidelines are set by the U.S. Congress every year. The Veteran’s Administration Pension site has a step-by-step example of how you can calculate whether or not you meet the financial criteria.
If your Michigan veteran needs more help finding senior care, please use this map to locate the Wellspring community nearest you. One of our team members will be happy to help you figure out the type of care that best meets their needs.