Activities Multiple Generations Can Enjoy!
The holiday season is often a time when multiple generations come together to celebrate. Finding activities that help create stronger bonds between older adults and a family’s youngest generation is important. For some families, the holidays may be the only time of year for so many loved ones to be together.
What intergenerational activities will family members of all ages enjoy? Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Board Games. Almost no holiday family gathering is complete without them! If you have younger children and older adults, consider some of the classics like Candyland or Chutes and Ladders. Apples to Apples, Cariboo, Sequence, and Sorry are a few other fun ones.
- Break out the Wii. It really isn’t just for kids. Wii tournaments have become popular in assisted living communities and senior centers. You can set up your own family tournament – winner’s bracket, trophies and all.
- Drag out the Family Photos. This can be a great intergenerational activity especially for little ones who can’t imagine their grandparents were ever young.
- Set up a Photo Booth. These are the rage for wedding receptions across the country. But why limit them to just weddings? You can easily set up your own with old hats, scarves, inflatable band instruments and inexpensive props from the dollar store.
- Old Time Card Games. The oldies but goodies are always a hit. Favorites that can be played by family members of all ages include “Go Fish”, “Old Maid”, and “War”.
- Jigsaw Puzzles. This is another easy activity for all age groups. You can keep it simple with puzzles that have large pieces or go all out with a 3-D puzzle.
- Have a Scavenger Hunt. Pair up older adults with their younger counterparts. Depending upon the weather, you can send them on an indoor and/or outdoor scavenger hunt. Don’t forget the prizes for the winning team!
Does your family have a great intergenerational holiday activity that is a tradition? If your looking for one, choose one of these great options or try to create your own!